It’s a new year, and many OI scholars are preparing work for submitting to conferences, special issues and regular issues of journals. Since I didn’t blog a lot in 2018, I thought this would be a good time to share some thoughts about presenting and publishing OI research.
However, three innovation conferences provide especially good venues for presenting and discussing OI research:
- R&D Management (Paris, June 17-21). The R&D Management journal has been a particularly good outlet for OI research, publishing more OI research in the past 15 years than any other journal. At the RaDMa conference, one of the 12 tracks (“Theme 9”) is explicitly on Open Innovation. Abstract submissions open January 15; in previous years the deadline was February 15 but this year the deadline is March 1.
- Open and User Innovation Conference (Utrecht, July 8-10). Although originally the “User Innovation Workshop,” regular readers know this was the first conference to solicit open innovation research, and that it provides a great community of innovation researchers who have been meeting annually since 2003. Although the CFP has not been posted yet, usually the abstract deadline is in late April. Update: the website is now up to date and the deadline is April 1.
- World Open Innovation Conference (Rome, Dec. 12-13). Founded as a Bay Area conference in 2014 — and for the past two years at a SFO hotel — this will be the second time that WOIC will be held in Europe. Since everyone there is interested in OI, it’s been a particularly fertile venue for open innovation discussions; I personally have found the poster session the best presentation outlet out there. The abstract deadline is usually August 15.
Several of my own publications in the past 5 years have been related to special issues aligned with OI and particularly WOIC. This includes
- co-editing the April 2016 special section of Industrial and Corporate Change from WOIC 2014
- informally helping on the Winter 2018 special section of California Management Review from WOIC 2015, and
- recently getting a paper accepted for the forthcoming special issue of R&D Management that included papers from WOIC 2016.
Unrelated to WOIC, in 2018 I also had another paper accepted in a different forthcoming special issue of RaDMa (on open social innovation), and a paper published last September in the first-ever Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal special issue on Open Innovation.
Yesterday, I got an email about a new OI special issue from the prominent OI scholar (and my longtime friend) Wim Vanhaverbeke, when Wim emailed a thousand of his closest friends with the CFP for a special issue on OI for Industrial Marketing Management. This is a journal that I would personally endorse: I spent my first 5 years as in the PhD program as a marketing major, and at that point, IMM — the leading specialty journal for business-to-business marketing — was one of the journals that I expected to regularly target. (However, since my research interests only loosely fit marketing, I switched to strategy and later entrepreneurship).
Here are highlights from the Vanhaverbeke et al call for papers:
Managing Open Innovation in Business-to-Business Relationships: A Project-Level Approach
Guest editors: Stefan Markovic (Copenhagen Business School), Mehdi Bagherzadeh (NEOMA Business School), Wim Vanhaverbeke (Hasselt University), Marcel Bogers (University of Copenhagen)
Deadline for submission: July 1st 2019
Papers submitted must not have been published, accepted for publication, or presently be under consideration for publication elsewhere. Submissions should be about 6,000-8,000 words in length.